Sunday, May 15, 2011


There have been a few occasions recently where I have been watching non english films with my partner and the subtitles have been so bad, it's not worth watching. Each time I have been able to find a perfectly acceptable SRT file that has decent subtitles. But if I'm watching on a DVD player this doesn't help. So, today, bored, I decided I would write a program that would parse an srt file and display the subtitle for me, it's a simple console app (in python at the moment but I plan to write another in C++ (and maybe one for my phone!)) which means, as long as I find the srt beforehand and start my app at the same time I start the film (or start watching on tv) I have pretty decent subtitles. Here's a short video of it in action.